August DAClete of the Month – May Conley
This month’s female DAClete is our girl May Conley, one of the founding members of the District Barbell Club!
Her coaches and teammates would agree that she’s incredibly consistent, determined, and a total badass. She’s a supportive and encouraging member of CrossFit and Barbell Club classes, always ready to yell “LET’S GOO!” during your max lift.
She continues to impress us with her strength each week, and we can’t wait to see what she accomplishes at her next powerlifting meet!
Find out more about her below:
1. How long have you been a member at District Athletic Club? Since I moved in New Haven in June 2018
2. What are some of your fitness goals to accomplish in last part of 2019? 200# bench—let’s gooooooo. Also, because barbell club has got me dialing in my mobility, I want to consistently make it to Kayla’s class on Saturdays at 8AM.
3. What are some of your recent accomplishments of which you’re most proud? 170 bench, bar muscle ups, snagged 2/3 medals at a little powerlifting meet in Brooklyn 😉
4. Do you adhere to any form of daily/weekly diet regimen to power your workouts? I have been trying to clean up my diet to maximize performance by focusing on getting that good good from whole foods, but I have too much of a sweet tooth to be really strict about anything. What does your dream cheat meal/day look like? Some combination of cheesy meats and an ice cream finisher, e.g. double stack spicy bacon burger x brownie sundae, though I also have a passion for meatballs.
5. If you were to choose a workout for the entire DAC
Oooh I’ve never thought this one up, so could be a terrible idea, but MAXOUT MAY (shoutout to Frank the Tank):
AMRAP5 #1 50 WB buy- in, 12 DL 205/155, 12 pull ups, 12 lateral barbell burpees
AMRAP5 #2 35 WB buy-in, 9 DL 235/175, 9 pull ups, 9 lateral barbell burpees
AMRAP5 #3 20 WB buy-in, 6 DL 255/205, 6 pull ups, 6 lateral barbell burpees
6. How do you spend your time when you’re away from DAC I am a PhD student in clinical psychology, so I spend 99% of my time away from DAC doing research . Also lots of dancin, boppin, snackin, and hangin with buds.
7. What is one fact that other DAC members may not know about you? I was a farmer in Montana for 6 years and I had 750 chickens at one point in time
8. Do you have any motivational thoughts or suggestions to folks just getting started at the gym? As they say, consistency is key. Everyone has ups and downs, good days and bad days, and strengths and areas for growth, so don’t sweat it if something doesn’t come easily. Also, while the sick gainz are cool, having a huge community of supportive people to smile at every day is what its all about.
Big love to everyone,